________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONTRIBUTE | ADVERTISE | SHOP | COMMUNITY | CAST | REVIEWS | CONTACT
2015-12-15: Hi! You're probably here because you did a Google search for 'plus sized horseback riders' or you saw my content quoted elsewhere. There are a couple of things I'd like you to know.

I am still here! But I am living away from my horses and not riding often. I could tell you a lie and say that I am, but I have always endeavored to give you the truth here. As a result, I'm not feeling terribly motivated to write blog posts and I feel out of touch with the community.

I'd love for you to stay a while and look back through the archives. Visit the links listed below. We still have an active forum community and I post on the Facebook page from time to time.

I have tentative plans to try to get more involved in the horse world in 2016, and I will absolutely share whatever that adventure becomes with you, so keep checking back!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

New Japanese Study On Weight Bearing

I know I frequently ask myself "how much is too much?" when riding. A Japanese study done recently has some new figures and measured not by fatigue but, interestingly, by gait.

READ THE ARTICLE HERE

At 100 kilograms (220 pounds), the horses showed a significant lack of symmetry as represented by uneven peaks in the acceleration readings. In order to leave a safety margin for tack, equipment, and clothing, Matsuura said he and his colleagues recommend keeping weight load under 100 kilograms for these horses.



“In light of the safety of the rider and horse, we speculated that 100 kilograms, which is 29% of body weight, is an appropriate weight for the maximum permissive load weight,” he said.




Thoughts? Comments?

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense to me, moving faster while carrying a heavier weight is harder than moving more slowly while carrying a lighter weight. I do like that in the article, they pointed out that different breeds and types of horses should be evaluated separately for their load-bearing capacities. I would venture that individual horses should be evaluated, as types within breeds can vary greatly. My barn owner has several Arabians. One is built like a unicorn, with delicate features and slim legs. Another is built with heavier bone, and therefore would be able to handle heavier weights than her other Arab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that they're comparing it by gait instead of fatigue, that's an interesting perspective. I need some more time later to read the whole article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know is that in the 80s, as a fat kid at open shows, I would regularly hear remarks about 'my poor horse'. In reality, she was a 15hh Morgan, toting around a 160lb kid with 40lb saddle. The people remarking were grown "heavy" men, 6' and every ounce of 275 with 60lb show saddle, draw reins and a ciggy hanging out of their mouth. Oh what I wouldn't give now to have a Way Back Machine and go tell them what I really think :) Nah, it's a waste of karmic energy. Ride on, ladies; Ride On!

    ReplyDelete